Water supply question

Users who are viewing this thread

SanOsurfer

Reaction score
The message below was posted in the general area, but I thought I would try to post it here as it seems more appropriate.

Hi Guys. Brand new to this forum. I'm repiping my existing corroded galvanized water supply system using PEX. I currently have a trunk-and-branch system with 1" service branching off into 3/4" trunks that t-off into 1/2" pipes leading to each fixture in the house. I would like to switch to a "hybrid" home-run system using a valved manifold. My idea is to use a valved manifold that has a 1" inlet and 3/4" pex outlets. The 3/4" PEX would then run to each group of fixtures in the house and then branch off to the individual fixtures using 1/2" pex. For example, one 3/4" PEX cold water pipe would run in the attic to the area above the master bathroom and then there would be a multiport unvalved manifold that takes that 3/4" pipe and branches it into three 1/2" pipes to supply the sink toilet and shower. Likewise, other areas of the house (other bathrooms, the kitchen, the laundry room, hose bibs) would each have their own 3/4" pipe dedicated to them coming from the main valved manifold, This 3/4" pipe would then get stopped down to 1/2" for each fixture.

My question is as follows: Is my plan a worthy one?? I'm doubting this because I can't find valved manifolds that take a 1" supply and branch it off into 3/4" branches. So the fact that these are not made (or are uncommon) leads me to think that my plan is not worthy!. I like home run systems but don't like how so many 1/2" lines have to be run through the attic with traditional home-run systems.

The lines to the hose bibs should stay as 3/4 and not get stopped down to 1/2, right?

Sorry for the long post.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks