Water supply line to short for new toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

sdjerry

Reaction score
Ok so this is where I'm at, hoping some of you friendly experts out there can help me. :) I had to install a new toilet in one of the bathrooms in my mobile home, that was easy and it's done. Keep in mind I'm not the greatest at home improvement projects of any kind, but I do the best I can and call for help when I feel I'm in over my head.

Anyhow the problem I've run into is this, the water supply line which is sadly polybutylene is now to short and won't reach the new toilet. It lines up great, but simply won't reach. Is there an easy way to extend this? And if not, how can I go about just replacing the valve, and adding a steel braided line to run from the new valve to the toilet?

This YouTube video shows exactly what I would need to do in terms of replacing the valve and adding a new line, but it doesn't say which size valve I use and if the sleeve he uses comes with the valve, so this beginner is lost. I'd rather just extend it temporarily and replace the valve later, but I know that might not be possible.

Picture is attached, and I'm a beginner with stuff like this so I'd appreciate explanations in easy terms. ;)

20170102_090727[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you get a bang when the toilet fill valve turns off? No? Too bad... You could have maybe handled two problems at once.

That's OK. You still could see if a Sioux Chief Mini-Rester residential water hammer arrestor would fill that gap anyway.

660-tk-1.jpg

But wait! There is even a better thing. There are inexpensive bidet attachments that come with an attachment piece that looks like it would fit that gap. There are some expensive ones too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think maybe the easiest thing to do is to cut off the existing valve, install a new one, and use a standard toilet supply line. I have not worked with that type of pipe, so am not sure what valves will work with it. A little research should tell you what kind of valves will work on that pipe. Some of them do not require tools to install.

I think that this fitting will work with what you have.

http://www.sharkbite.com/product/polybutylene-transition-couplings/

You'd need a short stub of say copper, then you could install a standard compression shutoff valve, and a standard supply line hose to the toilet.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like poly. Sharkbite makes a poly X whatever coupling that would allow one to convert into a longer piece of pex, copper, or cpvc to get them the extra length they need. Cut the pipe below the shutoff, push the sharkbite on, push or attach a new shut-off, then reconnect to a new toilet supply tube.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anderson Metals makes all kinds of bushings and reducers.
Their 50068-1408 might work, it's 7/8" comp on one side to fit the riser and 1/2" on the other to fit a new 1/2"x 7/8" toilet flex connector.
Where to get it? try on line or at a plumbing supply outlet.
Plz report back if successful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks