Water supply and meter question

Users who are viewing this thread

krik

Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm trying to figure out whether and how I should change my water supply setup. See two pics below: the main supply w/ shutoff and the water meter setup. Couple things on my mind:

- I have only about 50 PSI, and am worried that feeding four bathrooms through a 3/4" supply will be insufficient (currently expanding from three to four, although previous use really was only two of the three bathrooms - I have an opportunity to change all of the individual bathroom water lines so I can get it right).
- I'd like to install whatever check valve setup is required by code here (still figuring that out), and I don't want to have to do that twice if it ends up I need to upsize things. Also want to see whether I'd then have to have the meter changed out.

Any thoughts? Any tests I could do even before the bath 3 and 4 are complete?

Thanks

OdLXGoc.jpg

yY667Hx.jpg

krik

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread to see if someone has thoughts on this.

Essentially, it seems the incoming water line has a reducer to 3/4". But it also looks like different materials. What's your guess on incoming supply line size?

And any experience with this style water meter and its effect on flow/pressure? I'd ask the water utility, but I'm not sure whether I can get someone knowledgeable enough on the line for that.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
pipe_size_2.jpg

A chart for fixture units.
A typical four bath home is in the high 30's. You can see that larger pipe past the 3/4" meter makes a huge difference.

krik

Reaction score
A typical four bath home is in the high 30's. You can see that larger pipe past the 3/4" meter makes a huge difference.

Makes sense. Does it look like I have a 1" or greater supply coming in from the street? If so, it also seems to make sense to ask the water utility for a larger meter?

Reach4

Reaction score
Makes sense. Does it look like I have a 1" or greater supply coming in from the street? If so, it also seems to make sense to ask the water utility for a larger meter?
It depends. Since the water utility usually charges more monthly with a bigger meter, for most people there is not sufficient reason to ask for a bigger meter if you are at all frugal. Bigger pipes before and after do not trigger a monthly charge.

Rather than ask somebody to tell you how big your incoming pipe is, measure it. If you don't have a digital caliper, I suggest you get one.

If you don't care to or you want answer sooner, run a string around the pipe, and mark the string. Then take the distance between the marks on the string, and divide by 3.14.

krik

Reaction score
Rather than ask somebody to tell you how big your incoming pipe is, measure it. If you don't have a digital caliper, I suggest you get one.

My bad for not asking the question clearly enough. The pipe after the shutoff valve is 3/4". The what appears to be not copper pipe coming through the wall is obviously a lot bigger, but I didn't want to assume. For what it's worth, that one measures about 1.66" OD. Would this perhaps be 1 1/4" galvanized steel? If so, it's also not clear to me how restrictive that 5/8" meter setup with all the bends is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks