water starts then stops for a few minutes then restarts

Users who are viewing this thread

barkeleyboy

Reaction score
The situation is getting worst. I have a well and an Amtrol pressure tank. A short time ago, my well water, from any faucet, would run for a few minutes, then stop for a few seconds, and restart and run normally. Since then, the delay has grown longer. I am now without water for about 10 minutes, before it runs somewhat normally. The water pressure is now a bit funky-- weak pressure and a lot of pressure at various times. This can't be good. One thing I have noticed is that when the water restarts, it is when the pressure switch clicks. My pressure gauge is broken so I don't know the pressure at any point. Oh, and my water runs brown every once in a while. Real random, but mostly when the pressure is real strong. I can't drain the system of build-up because that faucet broke off in my hand.
My thought is a new pressure switch and gauge as well as a new shut off valve. Any thoughts?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Read the sticky above about cleaning out the line to the pressure switch and the line inlet on the switch itself. Make sure tank pressure is 2lbs. below pump cut in.

Good luck, May the force be with you. Don't forget to turn the power off and drain the pressure before you take the line off :D

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The situation is getting worst. I have a well and an Amtrol pressure tank. A short time ago, my well water, from any faucet, would run for a few minutes, then stop for a few seconds, and restart and run normally. Since then, the delay has grown longer. I am now without water for about 10 minutes, before it runs somewhat normally.

One thing I have noticed is that when the water restarts, it is when the pressure switch clicks.

My pressure gauge is broken so I don't know the pressure at any point. Oh, and my water runs brown every once in a while. Real random, but mostly when the pressure is real strong. I can't drain the system of build-up because that faucet broke off in my hand.
My thought is a new pressure switch and gauge as well as a new shut off valve. Any thoughts?
The click means teh pressure switch closed to turn the power on to the pump. It is not clicking at the right time, it is lagging due to a blockage in the switch, it's nipple or a fitting that has a 1/4" line going into it from the end of the pump or the fitting on that end of the holes either fitting screws into. Clean all those things and the pump will come on when it is supposed to, which is just before the pressure tank is empty.

Get a new gauge and valve. And when replacing them, and teh pressure tank is empty, check/adjust the air pressure in the tank (sticky at the top of this forum).

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Tell us more about the well. I have seen old bedrock wells (2") do that when they was pumping out of water. Over the years the rock can slime over. If so, it could be new well time.
The cause of his problem has nothing to do with what type of well he has, or how deep it is or what ID it is or if it is lined or not, etc, etc..

BTW, you don't get water out of rocks.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, that's it exactly! ;)

" It's like deja vu' all over again " Casey Stengel

barkeleyboy

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the pressure switch nipple was totally blocked and is now corrected. Also a new gauge. I bought a new switch at 40/60 so I set the pressure in the tank to 38psi. Everything seems to work great and I learned something so it was a good say. I appeciate your help.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If anyone wants to eliminate that blockage issue on 1/4" nipples to pressure switches, simply do not use the 1/4 tap on a tank tee. Use a 3/4 or 1" vertical riser of 6 or 8 inches, plastic or brass or SS, and then reduce down with the same at the switch connection. This is about the same idea as the trap used at gas appliances in reverse.

I suppose the ethically challenged pump guys wont ever do it - those service calls are bread and butter and butt easy to fix.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the pressure switch nipple was totally blocked and is now corrected. Also a new gauge. I bought a new switch at 40/60 so I set the pressure in the tank to 38psi. Everything seems to work great and I learned something so it was a good say. I appeciate your help.

Happy to have been of service.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks