Water softerner hook in

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Stbentoak, May 1, 2007.

1. Stbentoak

Stbentoak New Member

Hi,
    I am installing a new water softener this week and I was told that I could not cut it in BEFORE my bladder tank on my well. It would make my job MUCH easier if I could. Does anyone know why you can't do this? Does the soft water harm the bladder tank,or does the tank shield the softener from pulsating incoming water from the well....

Thanks
    Steve
    Elkhart, IN
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

You should be asking the guys you bought it from but, on the well side will cause water to flow back into the outlet when the pump isn't running; among other problems. And as usuall, the right way to do something is usually not the easiest but it is the least expensive and always is the quickest way to get anything done right. That's because done right means it is the only thing that has to be done and it only has to be done once...
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

well

Before the tank the pressure from the tank can become excessive, as could the flow rate. It would also have to be after the check valve which is usually right at the tank.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

IMO a check valve at the tank is not a good idea because it hides leaks betrween it and the submersible pump.