Water Softener + Whole House Carbon Filter - Help with Proper System Selection

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by badsha, Jun 23, 2014.

1. badsha

badsha New Member

Hello,

I decided to put in a whole house carbon filter + water softener system for my home. I am putting it outside, next to my water heater. Plumbing loop has already been installed and outside house hose bibs have been plumbed for raw water only. I also measured GPM from my tub and filled a 5 gallon bucket and calculated 1.22GPM (49 secs to fill 5 gallon bucket).

I have done some research and have spoken to more than a few water treatment companies. I am looking at either US Water Systems Fusion NLT Hybrid OR Clack WS1 System (details below). Do I really need a 53000 grain (15 GPM unit)? I was told it would be more efficient due to less regenerations and there would be less strain on the system. Not sure how true this is.

I am having a hard time choosing a carbon + water softener system. Please help.

20140621_100315.jpg

STATS

Water pressure: 75-80psi (tested from spigot front/back of the house)

2 adults and 1 child in the home

1.5 baths: 1 Shower, 1 Handheld body sprayer, 1 Tub, 2 Toilets, 2 Faucets.

Kitchen - Dishwasher, Faucet, Refrigerator water dispenser/ice maker

Laundry - Washer

City Water

Grains of hardness - 16-17 grains per gallon (gpg)
    pH - 6.5
    Iron - no detectable levels
    Chlorine - NA, water company uses Chloramines
    TDS: 308ppm

My water company's 2013 water quality report:

GSW report 2013_Page_1.jpg GSW report 2013_Page_2.jpg GSW report 2013_Page_3.jpg

Water Source for my area in Southern California

Water delivered to customers in the Southwest System is a blend of groundwater pumped from the West and Central Coast Groundwater Basins and imported water from the Colorado River Aqueduct and the State Water Project (imported and distributed by Metropolitan Water District of Southern California).

WHOLE HOUSE CARBON + WATER SOFTENER SYSTEMS

OPWC WS1 VALVE.....Meter On Demand Control Valve Water Softener 48000 Grain Capacity

10x54 Vortech resin tank (Almond)

1.5 cubic feet of resin

Brine Tank Size: 15x17x36 Rect Brine Tank OR 18 X 33 ROUND

Softening Resin (1.5 cuft): NSF Approved High Capacity Cation 10% Crosslink Softening Resin (USA)

****************************************************************************************************

OPWC WS1 VALVE........AUTO BACKWASH CARBON 1.5 CU/FT

10x54 Vortech resin tank (Almond)
    1.5 cubic feet of resin

OR

http://www.uswatersystems.com/systems/water-softener-system/fusion-nlt-hybrid-metered-water-softener.html

The Carbon tank is 8GPM and the Water Softener is 15GPM 53000 Grain system. Not sure if the Carbon tank at 8GPM will be a bottle neck.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  2. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

If you are using carbon to remove the chloramines, why spend the extra money for 10% cross link resin? I would go with the Clack. Heard some not so goog thing about the Canature systems.
  3. badsha

badsha New Member

Sorry this is a double post. The 10% cross linked comes with the system.
  4. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Units come with the standard 8% cross link resin not 10%. I would question why. There's something not right because 10% cost more and the online dealers have to fight hard for your business. Adding cost to their product (even pennies) may mean the difference of making a sell or not. Underbedding is important in your case. Mazke sure you get it with your system.
  5. badsha

badsha New Member

Underbedding? Is that a gravel bed?
  6. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Yes. It helps protect the distributor tube and distributes the water evenly to prevent possible channelling.