Water Softener Sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

Phanman

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to water softeners, and have been trying to do my research but alot of these calculations seem confusing. I thought I could bypass most of it by getting something something oversized but then i hear the resin can get "channeled" so that didn't work.

Some information
  • 2 adults, 1 toddler (expecting try for another child next year)
  • 2.5 bathroom (ensuite has 2 rain shower heads, 2 wall shower heads)
  • Steam generator (for ensuite shower)
  • washer machine
  • dishwasher
  • Avg of 11.76 water hardness based on city website
  • I would say 80 gal of water/person/day as wife likes to take 20-30min showers
On avg I would say we would have 3 shower heads going at once and the washing machine, but at times their maybe 4 shower heads going at once and a washing machine.

I wanted to get the Fleck 5600SXT 24,000 Grain capacity based on the calculator here http://www.qualitywatertreatment.com/water_softener_sizing.htm I thought I got everything figured out then on to picking the valve size and read "If you have multiple body sprayers or shower heads in the shower stall then choose the high flow Fleck 7000SXT Water softener" then throw out all the calculations and get the 48,000 to 80,000 grain capacity. A Fleck 7000 1.25" 48,000 grain capacity water softener will give you a service flow rate of 18 GPM at a 15 pound pressure drop. Most multiple body sprayers need 15 GPM to operate properly. A 64,000 grain system will give you 20 gpm and an 80,000 grain capacity will give you 24 GPM.

Im leaning towards the 7000SXT 64,000 grain capacity so I dont get a 15 pound pressure drop.

Would love some advice if I've chosen the correct capacity and water softener to go with.

Edit: Also when it says get a 1.25" 48,000 grain capacity is it talking about the plumbing adapter being 1.25"?

Thanks in advance

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
First off you can't go wrong with the 7000 valve. It is capable of high Flow rates and a highly adaptable valve. 64k might be a bit oversized but then again, as the kids get older your water use will increase and you will grow into it so to speak. So yea, go ahead with the 7000 and 64k. Just make sure the supply and discharge piping is large enough.

Phanman

Reaction score
Thx for the response. When you say make sure the supply and discharge pipe is large enough do you mean get the same sized valve as the existing water line coming into the home? If the main line is not 1.25" can I not just get an adapter before and after?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can adapt. Do you know what the pipe size coming into the house is?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Agree with Tom, get the 64K (2 Cu. ft.) and the 7000. What is your pipe size? The 7000 has 3/4" to 1-1/2" available. Post a picture of the installation location if you can.

Phanman

Reaction score
The 7000 has 3/4" connectors available.
Is there a big difference between the 7000SXT and non SXT? One of the local shops can only get their hands on the "High Flow 7000 series" model: HF60EM which only comes in a 1"- 1 1/4" fitting

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Since you are buying it from a local shop, I would be glad to send you the plastic 3/4" connectors at no charge. The HF60EM is a standard 7000SXT with the 1-1/4" plumbing connectors. They are easily replaced with the 3/4" connectors.

Phanman

Reaction score
Thanks for verifying guys, and that is very generous of you Ditttohead. Let me try and get my hands on a couple 3/4" connectors locally first. I hope you can help me configure the setup once I get it installed.

Ive attached the the spec sheet that was given to me. I assume the HF60EM is close to the fleck 68k capacity that I was originally going to go with.

Attachments

• High Flow 7000 Series.gif
    High Flow 7000 Series.gif
    110.9 KB · Views: 242
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks