Water Softener Self installation

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by chubyball, Jun 18, 2009.

1. chubyball

chubyball New Member

Is it possible to install Water Softener by myself? Anyone here ever done it?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

It will involve cutting in to your cold water supply pipe at a location such that all the house water, and NOT the water for the outside faucets, is softened. That will involve soldering to your copper pipes. Then you must route the drain tubing to a code-approved drain location.

Almost everywhere in the country, you are ALLOWED to do this, AND you are REQUIRED to get a local permit.
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

I've been selling water treatment to DIYers for at least 6+ years and they install it per my very detailed instructions without problems. Or they hire a plumber.

It is simple water line plumbing and in many instances you don't have to solder, you can use compression fittings or Shark Bite or similar types of fittings. Or you can learn to solder in about 20-30 minutes, I send everyone a link to a Windows movie that runs about 15 minutes and teaches how to solder. Or you can use corrugated flexible SS or copper tubing and not solder.

I very rarely hear of a customer or a plumber they hire, getting a permit.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

As with any alteration of the "potable" water supply, an understanding of cross connection and backflow are key elements in doing the job safely. Permits are required pretty much everywhere to do this type of work. In NH a license is required to do this kind of work. Improperly installed, the installation could lead to a multitude of problems.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

softener

The biggest factor to be concerned with is making sure you get the water flowing through the softener in the correct direction, which may NOT be the easiest way to connect it to the existing water pipes.
  6. Gary Slusser

Yes I tell'em all that they shouldn't plumb the drain line from a sink etc. or the sewer line to the inlet or outlet of their softener. Or the drain line from the softener to their toilet....

Did you mean to say that a homeowner there in NH must be licensed to do water line plumbing in their own homes?

I'll have to tell the NH DIYers that call me and see what they say. I think they'll say "yeah right, and I'll quit speeding'n dumping my laundry water out back too".
  7. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Homeowners can install their own stuff but they still need a permit and inspection.
  8. Buckeyetech

Buckeyetech New Member

In Ohio, you can install it yourself with no permits in my area.
  9. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Remind me not to have a glass of water in Ohio :D
  10. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

We do know that in MA, it is absolutely illegal for a homeowner to do even the smallest plumbing job.
  11. Gary Slusser

Yeah I feel bad about potentially selling to outlaws in the land of taxes and Kennedies but I don't want no claims of discrimination, and IIRC they all say they are hiring a plumber to install it....
  12. drick

drick In the Trades

Really? Because I'm in Southern NH, on my own well, pulled my own permits, and never had a problem.

-rick