Water Softener - Reversed Water Inlet/Outlet hookup

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Doug8, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Doug8

Doug8 New Member

My "plumber" reversed the water inlet and outlet hookup to the softener. I've been using the softener like this for about 3 months. Would there be any damage to the water softener from the reverse hookup?

Thanks.
  2. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

The only damage would be if you lost the resin. Most unit today have an upper basket that will prevent the resin from going out. When you change the piping, you can check to insure you have the proper amount of resin.
  3. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Sounds like the unit that I came across awhile back, plumbers had put in a Sears unit with the in on the out and the out on the in... good thing there was an upper basket......
    Normally I find that an upper basket and iron are not a good combo... upper just loads up with to much iron an plugs up the unit.
  4. Doug8

Doug8 New Member

Thanks for your comments guys. I took it apart, cleaned the basket and reconnect it back the correct way. Everything is fine now.