Water softener resin is green

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by earlrabbit, Mar 3, 2013.

1. earlrabbit

earlrabbit New Member

I've been having problems with my 14 year old Northstar softener. I suspected that the resin might be bad as I've never run anything like "Iron Out" through it. After opening it up I see that most of the resin has an amber color but some has turned green. I don't see anything that looks like iron contamination. Is the resin bad? I've been inside the valve many times so I'm very familiar with it but is it time to bite the bullet and buy a new one?
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Take a few beads and crush them between your thumb and forefinger. If they crush they are bad. Try it with both the amber and green beads. I suspect that either the resin is failing, the resin is channeled or the bed is not being properly back washed
  3. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Can you post a picture? Green might be an indicator of copper fouling. Considering the age and make, it might be a good time to start looking for a replacement system.
  4. earlrabbit

earlrabbit New Member

I was able to crush them between my fingers so it sounds like the resin is toast - right?
  5. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Amber is a color of a resin. Green is usually from copper, so on site copper and pH tests would be in order.

What is your raw test showing for pH, iron, total hardness etc.? Are you on your own well or 'city' water?
  6. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Yep it's toast and considering the age of the equipment I highly recommend scrapping it and starting new.
  7. earlrabbit

earlrabbit New Member

Not sure on pH, but hardness is 13.85 grains/gal and iron is .03 mill/ltr. It's city water but they source part of their needs from wells.