Water softener recommendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

WMG

Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering adding a water softener to our well-water system. Details of our water quality report are below. Hardness is just under 10 gpg. Based on what I have read on these forums, I am considering the Fleck 7000sxt (we also have 1" piping after the well tank). Ultimately, there will be four of us living in the household... this leads me to believe that a 32K capacity softener would be sufficient.

Appreciate any input.

-Wes

PHYSICAL PARAMETERS
pH 6.8

CHEMICALS RESULT UNITS
FLUORIDE ND mg/L
CHLORIDE 49 mg/L
NITRITE NITROGEN ND mg/L
NITRATE NITROGEN 4.4 mg/L
SULFATE 16 mg/L
CALCIUM 44 mg/L
MAGNESIUM 14 mg/L
HARDNESS 166 mg/L
SODIUM 22.5 mg/L
COPPER 0.06 mg/L
IRON ND mg/L
MANGANESE ND mg/L

ND=none detected

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer the 1.5 cu. ft. system. The cost is nearly identical, it is 50% larger, and has a higher service flow rate. In all reality, either system will do you just fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
never mind... I missed nitrate vs nitrite the first time.

Last edited:

WMG

Reaction score
With it being 50% larger, besides the service flow rate, what would the other benefits be? Less frequent backwash and therefore less frequent need for additional salt?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Less frequent regenerations will result in an increase in efficiency. The larger capacity will also allow for softer water at higher flow rates. System longevity is also increased.

A 1.5 cu. ft. system has a real capacity of 30,000 to 36,000 depending on salt settings. If it is set at 30,000 grains, the system would regenerate approximately every 12 days. That is excellent efficiency.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks