Water softener Radiant heating question

Users who are viewing this thread

William Berry

Reaction score
Adding water softener to 14 year old Radiant heating system good or bad idea ? Changing 14 year old tank tomorrow from a 50 Smith to a 75 Bradford noticed floor not as warm as past years so thinking of adding a fleck system. darn internet same question two different answers what do the pros think water hardness is 12, radiant heat is 1200sq foot basement plus 2 car garage

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to question - but want to ask a question of my own.
I've read about radiant floor heat systems - but i have never heard of one where the water used for the floor heating is also the same hot water used for drinking/washing. Is that what you're saying you have? That's what I assuming - else I don't know why you would be considering adding a softener.

All of the radiant floor heat systems I've read about use a closed system where the floor heating water is in a closed system (loop).

Could the change in floor temperature just be due to a lower setting on the WH thermostat (or a failing element)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks