Water softener media and resin

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Alexdc99, May 9, 2006.

1. Alexdc99

Alexdc99 New Member

Anyone happen to know a company in Canada I could buy this stuff over the counter, I need some carbon. I know I can easily buy from the US and maybe this is a long shot posting here but worth a shot.

Thanks
    Alex
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Canada is a BIG place, and you didn't say where in all that you are... Water Group and/or R-Can should be able to help.
  3. Alexdc99

Alexdc99 New Member

Eastern Ontario.
  4. Gary Slusser

Look up Water Depot on the internet and see how far away from one of their locations you are. Or call them.
  5. Alexdc99

Alexdc99 New Member

Thanks for your help Gary, I contacted R-Can and they put me in contact with a reseller local to me who I can purchase it from.

Thanks
    Alex

On a side note, I haven't removed my 8 * 44 mineral tank yet, any ideas on how much carbon is in there? Maybe 1cu/ft or less. I just want to try and figure out how much I might need to buy.
  6. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Should be just under one cubic foot. You will probably have to buy a cubic foot bag anyway.

Is this a backwashable filter?

bob...
  7. Alexdc99

Alexdc99 New Member

It is a backwash filter, runs every three days. The company I called sells them in 1cu/ft bags. So one should di it for me then.

Thanks
  8. speedbump

speedbump Previous member

Yup, but be sure to leave some freeboard up top so the carbon can fluff when it backwashes.

bob...
  9. Gary Slusser

An 8 x 44 is a 3/4 cuft and Water Depot may sell it in 3/4'.
  10. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

I'm confused -- carbon in a water softener?
  11. Alexdc99

Alexdc99 New Member

I'll give water depot a call in the morning. I haven't picked up the carbon yet.

The carbon is used to remove the chlorine that I inject in to the water stream to treat the iron I have in my water. Carbon will remove all the chlorine from the water.