Water softener installation problem

Users who are viewing this thread

David McCallum

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new water softener - Fleck 7000SXT 64,000 grain with 3/4 inch bypass. My plumber installed it yesterday and ran it through an initial regeneration cycle. The cycle didn't take very long. I think there is a problem somewhere and he is tied up on another job for most of today. The water doesn’t seem to be softened and is not very clear today. I went out to the unit and at the end of the drain line there is a fairly large pile of the resin beads. He suggested that I put the unit in bypass mode until he can get out to fix it. When I went to the unit, the inflow was in the normal position but the outflow was in bypass mode already. I think they must have done that when we first fired it up yesterday. I ran it through an regeneration cycle yesterday evening because the water just didn't look any different that before, and that must have been when the beads came washing out. It is in bybass mode now. If I put it back in normal operation mode and run a regeneration cycle again, will I make it even worse? Do you think we will have to start all over and drain the tank and refill it? Thanks for any help you can give me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NOrmally, unless both inlet and outlet were in bypass mode, you would not get any water. There should NOT be any pile of resin beads, so that implies that there is a problem with the unit, possibly connected backwards, for example.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks