Water Softener - Help with Proper System Selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Badsha

Reaction score
Hello,

I decided to put in a whole house carbon filter + water softener system for my home. I am putting it outside, next to my water heater. Plumbing loop has already been installed and outside house hose bibs have been plumbed for raw water only. I also measured GPM from my tub and filled a 5 gallon bucket and calculated 1.22GPM (49 secs to fill 5 gallon bucket).

I have done some research and have spoken to more than a few water treatment companies. I am looking at either US Water Systems Fusion NLT Hybrid OR Clack WS1 System (details below). Do I really need a 53000 grain (15 GPM unit)? I was told it would be more efficient due to less regenerations and there would be less strain on the system. Not sure how true this is.

I am having a hard time choosing a carbon + water softener system. Please help.

20140621_100319.jpg

STATS

Water pressure: 75-80psi (tested from spigot front/back of the house)

2 adults and 1 child in the home

1.5 baths: 1 Shower, 1 Handheld body sprayer, 1 Tub, 2 Toilets, 2 Faucets.

Kitchen - Dishwasher, Faucet, Refrigerator water dispenser/ice maker

Laundry - Washer

City Water

Grains of hardness - 16-17 grains per gallon (gpg)
pH - 6.5
Iron - no detectable levels
Chlorine - NA, water company uses Chloramines
TDS: 308 ppm

My water company's 2013 water quality report:

Water Source for my area in Southern California

Water delivered to customers in the Southwest System is a blend of groundwater pumped from the West and Central Coast Groundwater Basins and imported water from the Colorado River Aqueduct and the State Water Project (imported and distributed by Metropolitan Water District of Southern California).

GSW report 2013_Page_2.jpgGSW report 2013_Page_3.jpg

WHOLE HOUSE CARBON + WATER SOFTENER SYSTEMS

OPWC WS1 VALVE.....Meter On Demand Control Valve Water Softener 48000 Grain Capacity

10x54 Vortech resin tank (Almond)

1.5 cubic feet of resin

Brine Tank Size: 15x17x36 Rect Brine Tank OR 18 X 33 ROUND

Softening Resin (1.5 cuft): NSF Approved High Capacity Cation 10% Crosslink Softening Resin (USA)

****************************************************************************************************

OPWC WS1 VALVE........AUTO BACKWASH CARBON 1.5 CU/FT

10x54 Vortech resin tank (Almond)
1.5 cubic feet of resin

OR

http://www.uswatersystems.com/systems/water-softener-system/fusion-nlt-hybrid-metered-water-softener.html

The Carbon tank is 8GPM and the Water Softener is 15GPM 53000 Grain system. Not sure if the Carbon tank at 8GPM will be a bottle neck.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Definitely the Clack, the "Fusion" is a Canature (China) valve based system. Not one that I would promote or recommend.

The flow rates are service rates, not actual flow. Considering your house, you will do fine with the Clack system.

Reach4

Reaction score
You are putting this outside? You must be in the part of Illinois that does not seriously freeze. :) Oh, wait: Water Source for my area in Southern California." Got ya.

If it's going outdoors, I would avoid an almond color tank. That might be natural color, and could let more sunlight in to help grow algae than a painted tank would.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer a real stainless steel tank jacket if they are going outside, cheap high quality protection. Also, don't forget the environmental cover for the Clack valve.

Badsha

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer a real stainless steel tank jacket if they are going outside, cheap high quality protection. Also, don't forget the environmental cover for the Clack valve.

US Water Systems did mention Canature and the resin is also supplied by Resintech, made in China. The Fusion Hybrid doesnt have real stainless steel jacket? The system should be cheaper if made in China. Clack and Fleck are made in the US I believe. What about Fleck valves? I checked out your website and saw The Hybrid CS system and 5800XTR2. I was thinking of putting a shed over the entire system.

Badsha

Reaction score
You are putting this outside? You must be in the part of Illinois that does not seriously freeze. :) Oh, wait: Water Source for my area in Southern California." Got ya.

If it's going outdoors, I would avoid an almond color tank. That might be natural color, and could let more sunlight in to help grow algae than a painted tank would.

Just updated my location. Yeah I wanted a black or blue tank. Are resin tanks usually made of fiberglass and then covered with a jacket?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Correct. The equipment should be a lot cheaper. Unfortunately some companies outsource equipment to the lowest bidder and then raise the price. Kind of a double dip in my opinion. I am not sure about their tank jackets. A couple of companies ake real thin s.s. jackets overseas, we have had major corrosion issues with these ultra low grade cheap s.s. jackets. I prefer the USA made 304 brushed s.s. tak jackets. They may cost a few dollars more but they dont rust out like the cheap ones do. I am very pleased with both Fleck and Clack products, both are top of the line products, and will last for decades if taken care of properly. Protecting the equipment from the elements is always preferred though some systems are rated for exposure.

Badsha

Reaction score
Just an update. I went with a Clack WS1 valve on my water softener. The system is 1.5 cu. ft., 48000 grain, 10% cross linked resin with gravel bed. The Carbon filter is metered 1.5 cu ft. of GAC in a separate tank. Each tank has a stainless steel jacket. Brine tank is 18x33.

I also had a small concrete raised foundation built. Any thoughts on an enclosure? What salt bags should I use?

Morton Salt - White Crystal 40lb. Water Softener Salt

Diamond Crystal Salt

Is there better quality Solar Salt I can buy? I checked Lowes, Home Depot & Orchards, they all sell the same brand. Consumers were complaining about brown rocks in the bags.

Attachments

• 20140630_175836.jpg
    20140630_175836.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 648
  • 20140630_175838.jpg
    20140630_175838.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You might read http://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/Water-Softening/FAQs/FAQs.aspx "Should I use pellets or solar salt?" I use http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-...ing-salts/68/morton-system-saver-two-pellets/ It is good quality and economical to me.

I don't totally cover my water with salt. Instead I slope the fill leaving some water visible. I started that after cleaning about 100 pounds (could have been more) of impacted dirty salt out of the old brine tank, and discarding the salt.

You can set your softener to be more salt-efficient. Read up.

Clack allows dealers to sell parts locally. They do not permit sales by mail out of their area, if I understand correctly. Fortunately there is a nice site, which I presume is gray market, that sells Clack parts. Gray market is not illegal; it just sources its stock not directly from Clack.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Any salt will do you just fine (Except for table salt). Some solar salts are extremely pure, in some areas the solar salt is nasty. Pellets work fine, you will pay a slightly higher price for them in most areas. Also be sure to look at the pounds per bag, not just the price. Most solar salt is sold in 50 pound bags, pellets are usually sold in 40 pound bags.

Please don't jump all over this thread telling me that they sell 40 pound solar or 50 pound pellet bags in your local store... I know, it is simply a generalization and something to consider when looking at the price.

If the solar salt in your area is unusually dirty, then get the pellets.

Badsha

Reaction score
Any salt will do you just fine (Except for table salt). Some solar salts are extremely pure, in some areas the solar salt is nasty. Pellets work fine, you will pay a slightly higher price for them in most areas. Also be sure to look at the pounds per bag, not just the price. Most solar salt is sold in 50 pound bags, pellets are usually sold in 40 pound bags.

Please don't jump all over this thread telling me that they sell 40 pound solar or 50 pound pellet bags in your local store... I know, it is simply a generalization and something to consider when looking at the price.

If the solar salt in your area is unusually dirty, then get the pellets.

Ill check out ACE Hardware. Some people push the pellets, others swear by the solar salt. Looks like I have 40lb bags available.

Is this Diamond Crystal Salt Red-Out for iron removal hype?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I have seen salt evaporation flats on San Fransisco Bay. I first thought they were sewage settling ponds. I suspect that since California produces solar salt, that could tend to make it cheaper there. Here solar 40 pound bags would cost me 13.42% more than the same size and brand of pellets.

A 25 pound block would cost me 41.27% more per pound than pellets, and a 50 pound block would be 1.97% less per pound than pellets. Pellets for me. If I did not have the iron and sulfur filter before the softener, I would probably opt for the Morton Rust Remover Water Softening Pellets at a 41.27% premium, but maybe I would use the regular pellets plus Iron Out... The special pellets would be handier.

Attachments

• pix1.PNG
    pix1.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 684

Badsha

Reaction score
I have seen salt evaporation flats on San Fransisco Bay. I first thought they were sewage settling ponds. I suspect that since California produces solar salt, that could tend to make it cheaper there. Here solar 40 pound bags would cost me 13.42% more than the same size and brand of pellets.

A 25 pound block would cost me 41.27% more per pound than pellets, and a 50 pound block would be 1.97% less per pound than pellets. Pellets for me. If I did not have the iron and sulfur filter before the softener, I would probably opt for the Morton Rust Remover Water Softening Pellets at a 41.27% premium, but maybe I would use the regular pellets plus Iron Out... The special pellets would be handier.

I'm a pellet pusher lol

Ordered 10 bags of Diamond Crystal Bright & Soft Pellets

10 bags of Iron Fighter Diamond Crystal Pellets would cost $85

Last edited:

Badsha

Reaction score
Any suggestions on an enclosure for my water softener + carbon tank?

2 Tanks: Each tank is 10" diameter x 54" H

Brine Tank: 18" diameter x 33" H

Actual Area to work with: 64"W x 31 Depth

THOUGHTS:

I think it would be ideal to have some sort of roof top that angles downward so that you when it rains, it would minimize any moisture or rain to seek into the shed and go through any openings that are not fully covered. Cover would have to be bit taller so you can open it from the front, rather from the top.
Not sure what material, may be wood, but exposure to sun and would rot it? Stucco it maybe?

ditttohead

Reaction score
A simple enclosure would be ideal. Even the old tin roof type would be enough. You have the outdoor covers on the valves which will help minimize long term damage to the controls. Thanks for using an "in use wet location" electrical cover, very few people do that.

Badsha

Reaction score
Systems up and running. Tested again with Hach 5B, no hard water detected. I guess nothing else to do maintenance wise.

Settings for Water Softener:

36000 grains
12lbs salt
2am regen time

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks