Water Softener Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

hdtocell

Reaction score
I have installed a new water softener in my basement and there is no usable floor drain for the recharge water so the previous owner tapped into the 2" overhead, black plastic pipe drain from the kitchen sink. They used a "Y" type of connector and when I disconnected the old plastic tubing to the previous softener, the return water became smelly and dark gray which is drain water. What I want to do is use the existing "Y" connector and place a P-Trap beside the kitchen sink drain line with a 6" stand tube and suspend my drain line above the tube 1" so there is an air space.
Question: Would I get the drain water from the sink backing up into my P-Trap and possibly running out into my basement?

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
When the sink drain line clogs, the drain water would back up and overflow out of the nearest lowest opening, whether it's that "standpipe" or a sink drain.
A water softener usually has a pretty strong discharge, and what it sounds like you're planning might not work.
If you're planning on attaching the softener discharge line under the sink, I would consider attaching it securely to a dishwasher drain tailpiece (above the trap) under the sink instead.
Good luck!
Mike

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Sorry to disagree with Mike but you should be fine and you're doing it right with the air gap. Yes, the stand pipe will over flow if the drian backs up past the height of the top of the stand pipe. But then that applies to all air gaps.

The average softener will flow to drain from 1.5 to 3 gpm and the standard ID of their drain line is 1/2". A 3/4" sch 40 PVC is more than adequate but the 6" is a bit short for that small ID; so use 1" or larger.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Where is your clothes washing machine? Its drain riser is a better place to run the discharge to and will not have the added liability of possibly overflowing.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Mike, he said "... with a 6" stand tube and suspend my drain line above the tube 1" so there is an air space." which is the standard describtion of an air gap. I know what you mean though, but they aren't used when you're up against the ceiling.

Yes I agree with the use of a washing machine drain or a sump pump sump when possible but the OP has a drain there in place now and there's no reason to not use it; it's been in use for years.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

They are vague as to how the old connection was made, but I get the impression that it was a direct connection between the softener drain and the drain pipe. If so it was about the worst way to make a connection, but it would also not have visibly overflowed in case of a backup. It possibly could have contaminated the softer's water however under the right circumstances.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks