Water softener drain line tied directly into sewer line

Users who are viewing this thread

George1335

Reaction score
I've been trying to get my landlord to change this. They have the water softener drain line tied directly into the sewer line, no air gap, nothing. Tied directly in.
I called the Sewage Enforcement Officer and he said that the waste from the softener had to go to the septic tank which I knew that but tied directly into the sewer line? Everything I find says it's illegal because of contamination. I'm in Pennsylvania. I'm a little frustrated a Sewage Enforcement Officer let that go when he did an inspection because I filled a complaint. Don't know what to do next besides do it myself but then I have to answer to the landlord because he's aware of it now.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Don't know what to do next besides do it myself but then I have to answer to the landlord because he's aware of it now.
As you are the resident of the home, any potential contamination will directly affect you and your family, not your landlord. If you're capable of adding an air gap yourself, I suggest doing so for your own peace of mind and due diligence to reduce a potential health situation.

Why do you expect correcting the connection to code compliance will be an issue with your landlord, especially if the correction does not cost him any money?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
post a picture of the connection point, there are many different air gaps available and sometimes the installation is far easier than you would expect.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Why do you expect correcting the connection to code compliance will be an issue with your landlord, especially if the correction does not cost him any money?
Landlords are picky about repairs/improvements to their property. To be safe, I'd not do it myself, but find a licensed plumber who will do it reasonably, and note on the invoice that he "Found softener drain line plumbed into sewer in violation of [insert applicable plumbing code here] Section [chapter & verse here]. Corrected to comply by [insert what he did here]. Then send a copy of the invoice to your landlord and tell him how nice it would be if he [split or paid] the cost to bring his property into compliance. Wouldn't hurt to get the local [radio, TV, newspaper] "Helpline" people involved. And, of course, plan on moving.

George1335

Reaction score
As you are the resident of the home, any potential contamination will directly affect you and your family, not your landlord. If you're capable of adding an air gap yourself, I suggest doing so for your own peace of mind and due diligence to reduce a potential health situation.

George1335

Reaction score
My landlord was making plumbing repairs and during this I asked him 2 times to fix it. Instead he has New pipe all around it and left it. It's about a half inch off a 90 so taking it out is a little more than a simple fix. Were talking about a landlord who was angry with me because the first night we were here I called him out because we took showers and discovered sewer gas flowing in the bathtub drain. I went downstairs and seen no trap on the bathtub drain. I will definitely never rent another house with out pulling plugs out of all the drains again because I'd of never missed that.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Not every job is DIY, :) especially to those who feel codes are for the uninformed.
An old saying in electrical and plumbing codes, Most of the codes were written in somebodies blood.
Here is a link to a simplified airgap code.
www.airgap.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks