Water softener drain from sink stack?

Users who are viewing this thread

MWeaver

Reaction score
I'd like to install a water softener in my basement, and have a good spot with electric and supply line access, my only issue is the drain. There's direct access to a vertical stack coming from a bathroom sink that I'd like to use. It looks like this stack doesn't have a direct run to the roof, and is using an AAV instead for venting.

Thoughts on using a sanitation Y to tie in, create a P-trap off the Y, and draining directly into the P trap with a 2" air gap?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a utility sink? You could run a fair distance, maybe up and over to get to that. You could probably even run the drain to the main floor.

You can make a standpipe like you would for a washing machine. I don't know if there is a provision to allow a shorter standpipe for your purpose. I am not a pro.

MWeaver

Reaction score
There's the drain that the water heater drains into about 15 feet away. I would have to try and fish the drain pipe through a finished ceiling and wall for that though. No utility sink sadly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks