Water softener cleaner

Users who are viewing this thread

tfurch

Reaction score
is the water softener cleaner sold by sears the same chemical(s) as Iron Out? They smell the same and give off the same fumes and iron out is a lot cheaper in my area, thanks

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There should be a list of ingredients on the bottle somewhere for both of them. I couldn't find any information on line about the Kenmore product, but Super Iron Out's MSDS shows:

upload_2016-2-11_8-25-37.png

and I suspect the Kenmore product will be similar.

Update: According to the Kenmore MSDS, the Kenmore stuff is actually Pro-Rust Out; their contents are:

upload_2016-2-11_15-2-2.png

There's a pretty good web page describing water softener cleaning & sanitizing procedures at http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Water_Softener_Cleaning.php.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Sodium Metabisulfite... Ugggg. I used to mix that stuff daily, it will make you gag if you are not wearing some decent PPE. Be sure to use it in a way that you are not smelling it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks