Water Softener and RO System Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I have a standard water softener using sodium chloride, as well as a reverse osmosis unit at the kitchen sink. That is where all of the drinking water is taken from.

My question is this,........my fiancee has developed borderline hypertension and she is now afraid to drink the water from the RO.

Does the RO remove the small amount of sodium from the water softener, as I think it does, or am I incorrect?

Thanks for any answers from those that know for certain.:)

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
A good RO system will remove 90% of total dissolved solids (and yes salt). Softeners take a bad rap for sodium. Food is the major culprit ... 2 cups of milk add 244 mg of salt, one slice of bread is over 100 mg, etc

Marc46

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks guys,......that's what I figured.
Checked the specs on my RO, and it is rated at 90 to 95% minimum on TDS removal.

Also my water is not very hard.
If I recall,......it was 2 or 3 grains of hardness.
I just happen to like softened water unlike some folks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks