Water softener and filtration

Users who are viewing this thread

System48

Reaction score
I first setup my system as follows.

Iron Reduction > Softener > GAC Filter > Sediment

My thought process.
We have city water but there is still low level iron, can't remember PPM at the moment, so I just used a potassium permanganate filter for iron reduction. I wanted all the iron out before going to the softener. I can't remember why I picked the order for the carbon filter. I put the sediment at the end just in case there were any upstream issues with anything the sediment would catch it and not ruin anything downstream.

Anyone see any issues with this arrangement?

Reach4

Reaction score
I think I would have gone Iron Reduction > Sediment > Softener

I am presuming your iron filter is a backwashing Greensand, or similar, filter.

So what about the 4.5 inch by 10 inch GAC cartridge Filter (or whatever you have)? What job are you looking for that go do? That is normally to pick up chlorine, a chemical or odor.

I would put the GAC after the sediment filter in line with what you will use for drinking. That could be water tapped off before the softener or it could be softened water.

Do you have sulfur smells or other problems?

I am not a pro.

Last edited:

_John_

Reaction score
Putting the GAC ahead of your softener will prolong the life of your resin, but other than that no problems. I personally wouldn't bother with the sediment afterward, but I'm not you and I can see your logic for it doing what you want it to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks