water softene quit working

Users who are viewing this thread

nrowles

Reaction score
Water softener quit working. I noticed the motor makes noise but does not turn the gear. I also noticed that the brine valve seems to be difficult to lower. Can the brine valve become defective and difficult to move? When I turn the manual knob it seems like I am going to snap it before the valve wants to lower (letting the knob rotate further). I believe the motor burned up when it got to the stiff valve, which may have jammed the gears to a halt. So, I think if I replace the motor and the stiff brine valve, the unit should work properly. Does anybody have any input?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is not much...
Do you have a book on the unit?
Photo of the unit?
Timer motors are shale we say a dime a dozzen.. and can be change out ..
Sounds kinda like a 5600 that has a few years and needs a piston and seal/spacer replacement time or that the brine piston needs work or replacement..

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I believe that Lancaster used Fleck valve heads. At any rate sounds like the piston froze and then the motor burned out. You can get replacement parts but it may be easier to replace the whole thing.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Post a photo of what you have, might have a rebuilt one ready to rock and roll with a core charge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks