Water Smells like Sulpher

Users who are viewing this thread

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey guys,

First off I would like to say I am a journeyman plumber so I am not new to this game but I must admit water quality is not one of my strong points! So here I am!

I got called to this motel today because their well water smells like sulpher. Right away I knew that a carbon filter would fix this problem. However are their any other alternative methods to solve this problem?

I did some research online and found that I could basically flush the system out with chlorine. This sounds like a simple method however being in a motel I am concerned about the health aspects of doing this method. If it was a residential house I would have no problems suggesting this to the owner. But being a motel I think it could get ugly because we'd probably have to get the Health Authority involved etc etc.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to discern where the problem is coming from be for you do anything...is it both cold and hot water or just hot?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You are not supposed to use carbon on water of unknown microbiological content.

This odor could be caused by bacteria or H2S gas. If bacteria then you kill it and that oxidizes anything in the water and then you use a backwashed filter to clarify the water and remove like chlorine if that is the disinfectant you used.

And you always start with a good water analysis.

If you mean shock the well when you mention chlorine, that rarely works and is at best a temporary 'fix' but ,it can cause problems with water quality, the pump and the power cable.

BTW treating water for a commercial establishment comes with more liability than residential does. You may want to call an independent water treatment dealer that will work with you.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yes I need to get a water sample and take it to the whole saler. They usually just look up in their books to see what type and how big of filter I would need.

I think this is my next step.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks