Water smells like rotten eggs

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Phillbo, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Phillbo

Phillbo New Member

I have one faucet in my master bathroom that on occasion smells like rotten eggs when I turn it on. I can't tell if its coming from the water or something in the drain line. I've cleaned the trap with no change.

It's an occasional thing. Any suggestions?

City water.
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Hot water side or both sides?
  3. Phillbo

Phillbo New Member

I've only noticed in on the cold water side... That's not to say it does not occur on both side tho. I don't use much hot water in that sink.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

It sounds as if you have a contaminated faucet tip.

Take the faucet tip aerator off and put it in a glass of water with like a teaspoon of bleach in it, for 20 minutes. And for as long as you can, hold the glass up so the faucet tip is in the water in the glass. Hold it as long as you can, take a rest and do it again etc. until the 20 minutes is up.

Rinse the aerator and faucet tip, install the aerator and see if the odor is gone.
  5. Phillbo

Phillbo New Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try.