water siphoned out of trap in basement floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Lyn12

Reaction score
Hello. I have replaced all my plumbing through the house and new sewer pipes under the basement floor to the street. The house still smells like sewer gas. I filled the tap in the basement drain up and a week later it was gone. I had the house smoke tested and a camera run down the trap to the street. Everything looked good. No leaks. On plumber said it might be a venting issue. What do you think? Have any ideas?

Attachments

• Sewer pipes under concrete.jpg
    Sewer pipes under concrete.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Sewer pipes3.jpg
    Sewer pipes3.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 61

Reach4

Reaction score
There is something called a trap filler.

There are also waterless floor drain trap seals, which might be insertable. I will let you search that out. I have no relevant experience.

Personally, I would consider running an ozone generator for a while as you leave for a while. They usually have a timer to shut themselves off after a while. You don't want to breath much ozone, but I think it decays while you are away.

Lyn12

Reaction score
There is something called a trap filler.

There are also waterless floor drain trap seals, which might be insertable. I will let you search that out. I have no relevant experience.

Personally, I would consider running an ozone generator for a while as you leave for a while. They usually have a timer to shut themselves off after a while. You don't want to breath much ozone, but I think it decays while you are away.
Ozone to kill the sewer gas germs?

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking to kill smells that may linger into the wood and concrete.

But from an identification point of view, you could try refilling your trap every 2 to 4 days for a while. If the odor stays away, that would support the idea that the water evaporating or sloshing out of the trap was the only odor cause.

You might consider putting a tiny hole in a homer bucket, and try to get that to drip every few seconds. https://water.usgs.gov/edu/activity-drip.html says that a gallon of water is about 15000 drips. Again, this is proposed for troubleshooting.

Last edited:

Lyn12

Reaction score
only an f ed up plumbing system siphones out the trap? who are these guys?
Something is wrong that's why I posted at the forum. Trap water is sucked dry or siphoned out of the trap to the sewer leaving the trap wide open for gas to come in the basement. Venting isn't right

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you call it a vent problem but do you know if you have a backed up system it does the same thing? is the trap brand new and all the underground plumbing is? If only that floor drain was vented properly then it would only suck dry if a stoppage or belly was under the slab. but you reported it was clear on the video. so that leaves you with an unvented floor drain. you got pictures or drawing of how that was plumbed?

Lyn12

Reaction score
you call it a vent problem but do you know if you have a backed up system it does the same thing? is the trap brand new and all the underground plumbing is? If only that floor drain was vented properly then it would only suck dry if a stoppage or belly was under the slab. but you reported it was clear on the video. so that leaves you with an unvented floor drain. you got pictures or drawing of how that was plumbed?
Everything is brand new. Clear sewer pipe all the way to the street. I put a pic up in my post at the top. I think its not vented. Ive been told that its too far away from the main stack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks