Water shut-off before and after regulator

Users who are viewing this thread

Blindog

Tim Bailey
Reaction score
I'm in the process of re-plumbing the water heater and the main coming into my daughters house. I'm accustomed to finding the meter at the line coming into the house but I find none, I assume it's outside somewhere. However, right after the feed pops through the cement there is a regulator and on each side of the regulator is a shut off valve. Why is this? To service the regulator without allowing water to drain back from the house plumbing? I'm re-plumbing from the regulator to the house branches. Should I put a valve back on this side of the regulator? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question. I would suggest that you add a pressure gauge, or a place that you could screw a pressure gauge to. The reason would be to monitor the PRV and the thermal expansion tank performance.

Blindog

Tim Bailey
Reaction score
No thermos expansion tank that I am aware of. What kind of pressures should I expect to see and should I adjust the regulator? I can't say I've ever seen a system with a TET, how important is this? Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Some PRVs come with a thermal expansion bypass. With those, you may not need an expansion tank if the incoming water pressure is not too high. Other PRVs in effect have a check valve built in. Read about your PRV.

Usually with a PRV, you need an expansion tank. That absorbs the water expansion that happens when you use hot water, stop using water, and the water heater heats up the water.

With a pressure gauge, you can see what you are dealing with.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A shut off valve between the meter and the PRV is normal practice.
A shut off valve between the PRV and the house is not necessary.
A pressure gauge pass the regulator is not a bad idea.
Pressure tank over the water heater is a good idea.
Sometimes water meters can be found in basements. In my city, they are under the side walks or parkways.

Blindog

Tim Bailey
Reaction score
thanks, DJ2. Thermo expansion tank and gage installed. Tomorrow I'll try to get my manifold plumbed into the system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks