Water Service line to house/outdoor faucet branch... needs a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryinAz

Reaction score
Hopefully my attached pic works. This is a townhome in Phoenix, Az and was built in the early to mid 80's.

My immediate concern is the angle on that main service line. I don't know if it's always been this way or if that cement slab is shifting differently than the house. My fear is one day I will come home to a gusher.

Either way, I'd like to rework this setup since the top faucet is leaking and I want to replace that bottom shut-off valve as well. Also, I imagine we will be adding an automated watering system in the future so if there's anything I can add now to accommodate that please share your thoughts.

By looking at my pictures, do any of you experts have concerns about the angle and if so, thoughts on how you would resolve it? Can you recommend types of replacement valves to use?

Thanks,
Larry

Attachments

• composite_14358535917562.jpg
    composite_14358535917562.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 329

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm thinking it was installed at an angle and the concrete was poured around it. A lot happens during a pour.
You may have soft copper going down, which comes in a coil.

If you add irrigation, you will ned either a vacuum breaker or a reduces pressure back flow, depending on location and the height of the highest sprinkler.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As Terry advises, a back flow device is required if you are going to add an irrigation system to your domestic line. It isn't just a simple matter of cutting a tee in and adding pipes and sprinklers. You must avoid contaminating your home's water supply as well as the entire neighborhood supply. My suggestion is to get a local sprinkler system installer involved to assist in laying out a legal and workable system. Won't cost much and will save you in the long run.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
To replace the main shut off valve:
- Cut off and remove some of the concrete around the rising supply water.
- Dig around the pipe, as far as the riser goes - you may need to replace it.
- Shut off at the meter (caution here: if the meter does not shut the water 100%, which happens with old meters, call your water company).
- Cut the supply pipe just below the main shut off, or at the elbow in the ground supply pipe (around here it's about a foot deep, but we don't have frost to worry about). If the pipe is dripping, after the initial drip, you can't continue - soldering requires complete dryness.
- Install a new shut off valve (go with a ball valve).
- the rest is simple plumbing project.

Having problems? call a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks