Water service line from street...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by OldPete, Jul 12, 2007.

1. OldPete

OldPete DIY Senior Member

I recently encountered a situation where a black plastic (the roll type) pipe was coming in from the street (service) -- I am trying to determine what kind of pipe it is, there are no markings that were legible. What are some options?

It is connected to a 1">3/4" NPT -- like a 1" slip fitting (not sure if that's the right name for it) on one end and a 3/4" NPT on the other copper fitting with two hose clamps!!! (Yikes??!?).

(I won't even tell you that the power was grounded to this mess.)

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. GrumpyPlumber

GrumpyPlumber Licensed Grump

Sounds like whats called a "ford" fitting, I could be wrong...also...the power is supposed to be grounded on the water main.
  3. OldPete

OldPete DIY Senior Member

I don't know about the fitting name, but I *do* know that the power is NOT suppose to grounded on the water main when the main isn't metal!!! It is suppose to be on a rod/acorn set-up. That much I *do* know.

Now... back to figuring out what I got. :)
  4. dubldare

dubldare Plumber/Gasfitter

Sounds like an insert (barbed) fitting on the end of that poly.