Water service fittings pack joints

Users who are viewing this thread

usehername

Reaction score
While renovating an old residence, the owner asked me to oversee a request by the local water municipal authority to replace the water meter. I noticed that the service line lacked a shut off valve before the meter so the tech would have to turn off the system at the curb. Due to the severity of a rough winter, the curb stop could not be located as it was covered in plowed snow and ice. He rescheduled the meter swap and requested that I be available to install a main valve inside the building before the meter. Here lies my dilemma. The service line (like many in this old neighborhood) is lead pipe from the street to the basement. The lead pipe transitions to a 1/2 inch female pipe thread adapter (leaded/soldered) then a 1/2 inch pipe nipple with a pack joint connection to the meter yoke on the other end. I am very leery of disturbing the lead pipe or the threaded pipe connection. My plan was to add a pack joint coupling a shut off valve and another pack joint coupling in the 1/2 inch pipe section either by cutting the pipe or adding on to the end where the existing pack joint makes the connection to the yoke. My experience with pack joints is very limited. I have seen fittings for IPS where a set screw bites the pipe and fittings for CTS where a clamp grabs the tubing. In this installation the 1/2 inch pipe is brass not iron. The existing pack joint that connects to the yoke has a clamp like one would expect on CTS. I am wondering if the fitting is actually a 3/4 CTS pack joint on that 1/2 inch IPS brass pipe. Now I am not sure what to use. Would the set screw fittings designed for iron pipe deform brass pipe? Are the outside diameters of 3/4 copper and 1/2 inch IP close enough that the fittings are interchangeable? Thanks for any insight. I emailed Ford Meter Box but the rep has not gotten back to me with an opinion.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
FRom here, it looks like you are trying to make a simple job very complicated. Just unscrew the 1/2" pipe, screw in a close nipple and valve, then a proper length piece into the pack adapter.

usehername

Reaction score
ayers water meter 2.jpg

Here is a pic of the joint to lead. Looks riskier than simple to me

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks