water reembursement , broken pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by toolaholic, Sep 15, 2006.

1. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

I broke a 3/4'' pvc pipe underground with my backhoe. it ran for about 13 hrs. before i found the wet earth in the morn. approx how many gals were lost? and what is that water worth on a commercial acct in ca.? pipe was cracked and not severed, not 100percent flow. thank's tool
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

That is a hard question. Depends on pressure and size of the crack. Maybe a few 1000s gallons. Not sure of the price of water out there. 5 Gal / Min. X 60 min. X 13 hrs. = 3,900 gallons X $10.00/1000 gal. = $39.00
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  3. toolaholic

THANK'S CASS someone else said $50
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Yeah, it could be as much as $50.00 but thats not a lot in the scheem of things.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Here in San Diego, water is about $2 per HCF ( hundred cubic feet, 748 gallons) and the sewer charge is about $4 per HCF of water. SO, 748 gallons cost about $6.

You could compare before and after bills to get a rough idea of how much the consumption changed for the month when the pipe was broken.
  6. toolaholic

thankyou all

this is at my shop, and the landlord has been a great friend. I gave him a $100 today. it'll come back. Tool