Water pump short cycling help

Users who are viewing this thread

Roadblock556

Reaction score
Hi to everyone and thanks in advance for any help.
My water pump is short cycling. It cycles off and on every half a second or less (very fast)when my pressure gauge reaches 50psi. I have no previous knowledge with plumbing either.
The following is my setup. I have two IBC totes stacked. 2 inch PVC combine them. 2 inch is reduced to 1 inch then a cut off valve, then the pump (3/4 HP Wayne deep well converted to a shallow well pump with lefoo pressure switch on it). The outlet pipe off the pump is 3/4 pex then goes into a 1 inch spring check valve, then goes into the pressure tank (Water Works 30gal tank with boiler drain,pressure relief, pressure gauge) then exits the tank through 3/4 pex into a sediment filter,then to the house.
The pressure switch is set 30/50. The pressure tank is set 2psi below the cut in. Everything is brand new and is a new setup for my cabin. Ive opened all the faucets to get the air out the system and it still does it. When I cut off the breaker so the pump wont burn up, the pressure that is built up stays in the system. No leaks whatsoever. I have no clue why its doing this.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You should not have a check valve between the pump with the pressure switch on the side and the pressure tank. Move your check valve to the suction side of the pump and short cycling will go away. Without a CSV you will still have so called normal cycling, but it will be much better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks