Water pressure regulator noises

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mvered, Jan 16, 2007.

1. mvered

mvered New Member

I recently moved, and I noticed that the water pressure regulator makes a clicking noises. The noises occurring when there are no water running (all the faucets are closed). Is the WPR faulty?
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Get a pressure gage and check your water pressure when no water is flowing then check it with an outside faucet wide open and see what the difference is.

Normally there is no noise from a PRV when the water is not flowing. I suspect the noise is coming from elsewhere.

You can get a pressure gage from one of the big box stores.
  3. mvered

mvered New Member

The inspection, before I got the house, checked the water pressure in the house and said it was a little high but ok.
    I stayed home today and I noticed that the water pressure regulator makes a faint clicking sound all the time. It doesn’t matter if the water is running (like when my wife takes a shower) or not. I listened very closely and the sound came from the regulator. Why is it making noises?
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Like I said, regulators do not make any sound if water is not flowing. If the regulator is in close proximity to your water meter you may want to check it. Some meters have a built in spring check valve that can make clicking noises, when water is flowing.

With all the fixtures in the house off look and see if the leak detector, on the meter, is moving. This will tell you if there is water is flowing or not. Even with all fixtures off there may be a small leak giving you flowing water.

Often times the meter can make noise and the noise can travel and seem to be coming from somewhere else.