Water Pressure Reading next steps

Users who are viewing this thread

AlGreen

Reaction score
Any suggestions for what to try next to identify and remedy these surges?

While it may not be related, I did notice that I'm still getting some water hammer from the dishwasher, even though I installed a Mini Rester at the water inlet.

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
If you are actually getting pressure spikes up to 120 psi, it sounds to me like you need a pressure regulator at the water inlet to your house. I assume you are you on City water. Maybe you could call the City Water Dept and tell them you are getting pressure spikes - see what the say. Could be that "their equipment" is malfunctioning.

I would think that the City's water meter would have a pressure regulator in it (or separate regulator near it) since the City would normally by pumping the water at high pressures through their main lines. But maybe it's up to the home builder/plumber to install one on homes with City supplied water.

Maybe something like https://www.lowes.com/pd/Wilkins-3-4-in-Bronze-Female-In-Line-Pressure-Reducing-Valve/3134059

Also, fyi https://www.owasa.org/new-page-6

I'm not a Pro.

Reach4

Reaction score
What did you set the air precharge to?

Before your hot shower, check the pressure. One hour after your shower, without using more water, check the pressure and lazy hand. What were the pressures?

Could it be there is some lesser jump on the black hand that knocks the lazy hand higher? Set the lazy hand to 100 PSI. What does it read after a load of wash?

AlGreen

Reaction score
I set the precharge to 60 psi.

When I did the hot shower test, the black hand showed about 60 before and after an hour, whereas the red hand went up to a little over 100.

I have some wash to do tonight, so I'll check back after I try your last suggestion.

Reach4

Reaction score
I set the precharge to 60 psi.

When I did the hot shower test, the black hand showed about 60 before and after an hour, whereas the red hand went up to a little over 100.

I have some wash to do tonight, so I'll check back after I try your last suggestion.
The good thing about the shower test is that is not going to have any water hammer causing a pressure spike.

Maybe try turning the WH temperature down some.

AlGreen

Reaction score
What did you set the air precharge to?

Before your hot shower, check the pressure. One hour after your shower, without using more water, check the pressure and lazy hand. What were the pressures?

Could it be there is some lesser jump on the black hand that knocks the lazy hand higher? Set the lazy hand to 100 PSI. What does it read after a load of wash?

I'm 90 percent certain that the surge I was seeing wasn't one at all, but rather slight jerky movements of the black hand knocking the red one into a false reading. When I keep the red hand further away, like say at 85 instead of 60, it doesn't seem to be moving. Thanks for suggesting I check this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks