Water pressure question PEX line

Users who are viewing this thread

kennylee

Reaction score
I've replaced lot of my old pipes with PEX. All 1/2 inch minus some of the PVC line that comes from mainline and to water heater, which is 3/4 maybe 1 inch pvc. All after that is 1/2 PEX line that then feeds into quick connect manifolds that I built. Water flow is good, but the line that goes up to my 2nd floor bathroom is a little weak. If I increases the inlet to the manifold diameter to 3/4 or even 1 inch would that make a difference? Leaving the 1/2 PEX branching out to rest of the house?

So main is PVC (1 or 3/4 inch can't rememeber) then splits to water heater. Comes out of water heater by PVC. Both lines get reduced to 1/2 inch to PEX by a reducer. Then PEX 1/2 inch goes into manifold branching out 1/2 inch PEX throughout the house.

Just hange inlet to higher diameter?
Maybe change diameter of manifold to 3/4 stem x 1/2 outlets?

Or 1 inch stem?

Using quick connext stackable manifold connectors

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you ever had more than one thing running off of the manifold, a 1/2" PEX inlet is WAY too small. Keep in mind that just bumping the inlet to 3/4" more than doubles the available flow into the manifold. Think of the area of the opening... pii times the radius squared. And, consider that PEX's walls are thicker, so the actual ID is smaller than the equivalent size of copper. Because you (hopefully) used fewer fittings running the PEX, the lower flowing restrictions and resulting friction are less than copper, but it still may be less than copper. With the manifold, hopefully, you aren't branching the bathroom supply off of the 1/2" line and are running home runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks