Water pressure problems

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbingstupid

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me! Several weeks ago we started having no water pressure! If you took a shower or ran the garden hose you would all at once have no water pressure! After waiting a moment you would have water again.
Thinking it could be the pressure switch we replaced the old one. The old one was a 40 60. We could only find a 30 50 so we installed the 30 50 and adjusted it so it would click on at 40. The problem we still have is that when the water pressure drops to about 37 you can hear a click and then the guage drops down to 0 before the pump kicks on. The pressure quickly rises to 70 and then the pump kicks off! I shut off the pump drained all the water pressure to 0 and then checked the air in the cold storage tank and adjusted the pressure to 35.
We still have a problem when taking showers etc the water pressure will drop to almost 0 for about 2 seconds and then quickly go to full pressure!
Do i need to install a 40-60 switch or is there a problem with the pump or cold storage tank?
The cold storage tank has some age on it. Could the bladder have a hole in it? When we replaced the switch we clean out corrosion on the inside of the pipes and tried to make sure everything was open!
I appreciate any help anyone can give! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Calibrate the air pressure gauge to the water pressure gauge. Setting the air to 5 PSI less than the kick-in is fine as long as both gauges are calibrated. It sounds to me like they are not.

Turn off the pump and drain the tank just until you hear the switch click on. Then read the air pressure on the bladder and compare that to the water pressure gauge. Set the kick-in based on the air pressure reading to ensure it is 5 PSI higher.

plumbingstupid

Reaction score
I tried what you said. shut the pump off and drained the tank till i heard the swith click! the water pressure tank showed 35 and the air pressure read 36 so adjusted the air pressure to 33 and turned the pump back on! the water pressure went to 70 and the pump shut off! I started draining the tank and the pump didnt kick on till the water pressure switch showed 30. Also as soon as the pressure hit 30 i heard the switch click but the water pressure guage dropped quickly to 0 and then the pump kicked on and the pressure started to quickly rise! the old pressure switch was a 40-60 and the new one a 30-50. could this be a problem also? my brother and i tried to adjust the 30-50 to a 40-60. is this possible as we still couldnt get the pump to click on at 40?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks