water pressure loss

Users who are viewing this thread

Timmy

Reaction score
I live in the country. Our water supply is our well. The submersible pump cuts in at about 37 psi and cuts out at about 54 psi. I have noticed the sound of the pressure switch turning on the pump when there is no water being used. I watched the gauge at the pressure tank and I lose about 8 to 10 pounds within half an hour or so. I have checked everything I can think of for leaks including the two outside faucets. There is a very slow leak from a shutoff valve under one of the bathroom sinks but that leak is maybe half a cup in over a week and I don't see how it could be causing the pressure drop I am experiencing. If I close the valve at the outlet of the pressure tank for a minute or two and then open it there is the sound of water surging through the pipe to "fill the void" caused by mystery leak. Could a leak in the line from my pump to the pressure tank in my basement cause this type of problem? Any advice greatly appreciated!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If I close the valve at the outlet of the pressure tank for a minute or two and then open it there is the sound of water surging through the pipe to "fill the void" caused by mystery leak...
Then the leak is after the tank. Perhaps you are overlooking a consuming device like a leaky toilet flapper, humidifier, RO filter, icemaker, etc.

If you turn off the outlet from the tank and don't lose pressure over time, the pump and line to the tank can be removed from the list of usual suspects.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks