Water pressure drops

Users who are viewing this thread

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
My water pressure is dipping down pretty far. I tested the air pressure in my expansion tank but for some reason the gauge wont drop below 30 psi even though th etank feels empty. So what would cause th epressure to dip down to a trickle then build back up once the pump kicks on. This is an above ground well pump.

JRC3

Reaction score
Did you kill the power to the pump and dump the pressure in the line to check the pressure in the tank?

Also most air pressure gauges are complete garbage. I bought an inexpensive Accutire
MS4021 digital gauge because my research said it was accurate. It showed that all my other $4 tire gauges were all over the place with their readings.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My water pressure is dipping down pretty far. I tested the air pressure in my expansion tank but for some reason the gauge wont drop below 30 psi even though th etank feels empty. So what would cause th epressure to dip down to a trickle then build back up once the pump kicks on. This is an above ground well pump.

Gauges do that when they get clogged or "sprung". You need a new gauge. And I am guessing the tube to the pressure switch is clogged as well, which would cause the dip in pressure before the pump starts.

PanteraMatt

Reaction score
Ok heres an update. So I put the new 40/60 switch and gauge on and noticed there was a TON of blockage. Cleaned it all out and I couldnt get the pump to prime. I finally noticed the nipple attached to the line from the well was almost completely broke off so I went and bought a new one long with a new drain back valve as that was gunked up bad also. So now it wont fill the tank all the way. It puts about 5 gallons but the pressure gauge only shows 20 psi and the tank feels empty but I can drain about 5-7 gallons out of it but the pump wont kick off. I took a shower with the pump running and I had the best pressure Ive ever had but as of right now I have to turn the pump on and off. Any suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks