water pressure drop with new shower and mixer

Users who are viewing this thread

kingchai1

Reaction score
hi. I'm a proficient diy'er but no pro by any means. just put in a new bathroom in my basement so i could have a tub/shower. pressure in house is great. old bathroom in same place had great pressure. with the new bathtub spout and shower, the pressure is lame.
I plumbed the 1/2" copper myself and used some street elbows. do these restrict flow? the new shower/mixer is an american standard boulevard. the one-lever mixer type where you rotate the lever to both turn it on and adjust temp simultaneously. Is this restricting the water flow, maybe? I haven't tiled yet, so I can still unscrew the densshield board and repair if need be. very frustrating. any suggestions?
By the way guys, I also installed a Toto Aquia toilet and it was a piece of cake, thanks to your advice. used tapcons/hammer drill to bolt the rear mounts into the concrete floor and then installed pretty much like any other toilet. that toilet flushes like a tsunami.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure if you are confusing pressure with volume. The new shower head will be flow limited to comply with Federal regulations, but your old one was not.

kingchai1

Reaction score
i'm also wondering, hj, if using street 90-degree copper elbows would have throttled the flow?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a bucket and stopwatch, measure the flow, compare it to the valve's specs. The tub should be unrestricted, but still may only be 5-6gpm. The shower is restricted to a max of 2.5gpm.

kingchai1

Reaction score
i tested it and i'm getting 3.7 gpm from the tub spout. so what does this tell me?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you flush the lines before inserting the cartridge after soldering the pipe in? You may have some crud lodged in the pathway, restricting the flow. If you used the IPS threaded connections and used tape, you may have been a bit sloppy and it's blocking some of the flow. A street elbow won't affect the flow any more than a 'normal' elbow since the ID is the same when you take into account of the pipe you attach it to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks