Water presssure / bladder tank problem and fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron Latronica

Reaction score
I am a home owner , 5 acre place with 3k sq foot house and large garden area etc with multiple valve station sprinkler system. On a well with bladder pressure tank and holding tank. To be short and help someone else, I was having water pressure problems after 15 yrs. most noticeable when I was using sprinkler system. Big drop in pressure lately. Thought I had a bad pressure pump and or bladder pressure tank. Long story short, Woodpeckers had forced acorns through the vent cover on water holding tank. Some made their way down to supply line to pump and pressure tank. After having well/pump service pros out and checking pump and pressure tank and confirm no leaks etc we finally checked the in line check valve , in line before the pump and pressure tank. Upon checking the check valve, it was restricted with acorns. My storage tank is has a vent and access cover and all in good repair and original. But apparently woodpeckers had over time forced acorns through the air vent into the tank and then they would sink into the bottom of tank into supply line and clog up the check valve probably 50 per cent or so. This was hard to figure at first as house pressure and demand was met but outdoor water sprinkler demand seemed cut in half. Anyway if this helps somebody, CHECK THE WATER SUPPLY CHECK VALVE FIRST BEFORE doubting your pump or pressure bladder tank. The pro well guy was good but I had to eat a little labor before we found the problem and he had not seen that problem before. I intend to further screen off my holding tank vent so the woodpeckers can't force acorns through the standard vent and contaminate the holding tank and plumbing. Hope this saves someone some grief.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I'd buy a couple of those plastic owls to put up too.

Couple of months ago I was out in a pump job. The homeowner had an owl on a post. It was motion activated. It's head turned when it sensed movement. It sure kept the nuisance birds away.

At my shop I have a family of three barn owls. Real ones. I wish they would keep the pidgeons away.

Ron Latronica

Reaction score
LOL! Thought I had heard everything. But I use a screen small enough to keep out small insects, so I would not have to worry about acorns.
Never crossed my mind to screen out the insects, but I will be screening the vent now for all that. Very hot now in Central Calif. but I have to get up there soon and get r done.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think I'd buy a couple of those plastic owls to put up too.

Couple of months ago I was out in a pump job. The homeowner had an owl on a post. It was motion activated. It's head turned when it sensed movement. It sure kept the nuisance birds away.

At my shop I have a family of three barn owls. Real ones. I wish they would keep the pidgeons away.

Maybe you just need a bigger owl, like this one.
20160520_0854161_resized.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks