water pipes outer wall

Users who are viewing this thread

galway

Reaction score
I have a bathroom that faces the outer wall of my house. The copper water pipes for the sink come up through the floor. I want to put a pedestal sink in but that would require (I believe) that the pipes enter the pedestal through the outer wall. the contractor mentioned using a kit? Can this be done withut worry of frozen pipes?

galway

Reaction score
the base of the pedestal sink is solid only the back is open so that would prohibit the pipes entering from the floor.

galway

Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
YES!
As long as you live in Hawaii.
You'd be better off running them through the floor.

The base of the pedestal is solid so that would prohibit the pipes from entering through the floor. I am not sure what the contractor was thinking but i did tell hime it is an outer wall bathroom. live in Chicago area.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's not a good idea to run pipes in the outside wall; especially if the airflow could be blocked to the wall face.

TMB9862

Reaction score
While it's a good idea to try and avoid it, I see it done all the time and their is rarely a problem so long as the heat is on. If you do put them in the wall make sure to insulate them well as long as us regular insulation between them and the outside wall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the Seattle area, it's common to have pipes in outer walls.
Maybe not the best thing to do, but it's done.

That being said, in my years of going back and repairing frozen pipes, what seems to work best is:

Don't insulate the pipes.
Do put wall insulation between the pipe and the outer wall.
What ever heat is in the home will get to the pipe better that way.
There was one home I repaired several times.
The only method that worked was with uninsulated pipes, and insulation placed between the pipes and outer wall.

Since this is for a pedetal lav, at least the wall will be exposed to the rest of the home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks