Water Pipes Howling/Whining

Users who are viewing this thread

Kickassness

Reaction score
The other night my girlfriend and I were sleeping in bed when at around 5am we heard some whining. We thought it was our dog, but when we checked, he was asleep. The noise continued and after some investigation, we concluded it was our water pipes. We could not, and still cannot, find the problem. There has not been a lack of pressure, everything works fine, and the only lead I had was our bedroom toilet which takes maybe 3 flushes before it is done to refill. I shut the valve off to the toilet, but the pipes still howl. So I assume it is not the toilet.

There does not seem to be a theme to this noise. It happens randomly, mostly when no water has been running.
FYI, we have a well system with a filter and an electric water heater. I checked the pressure of the system and the gauge is reading 45-55 psi.

Any ideas?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a water softener or backwashing filter? If so, that may be the cause... My softener with an old Autotrol controller does that.

Kickassness

Reaction score
Do you have a water softener or backwashing filter? If so, that may be the cause... My softener with an old Autotrol controller does that.

The well does have a filter system that does flush excess water outside. That is the only thing I can think of though. I'm not great with plumbing

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Dogs whine in their sleep too. And they growl, kick, snore, and move around while sleeping.... :D
I haven't had a good night sleep since I let my puppy (now 100lbs) sleep on the bed with us five years ago.

Reach4

Reaction score
The well does have a filter system that does flush excess water outside. That is the only thing I can think of though. I'm not great with plumbing
Post the make and model info of the controller (on top of the tank) and/or post a photo of the controller with any lift-off cover removed.

Kickassness

Reaction score
Post the make and model info of the controller (on top of the tank) and/or post a photo of the controller with any lift-off cover removed.

I will have to do that later. I am at work right now. But I will post it as soon as I can

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks