Water pipe sizing flush valves

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by yngwie_69, Apr 4, 2014.

1. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

Is there a code for a certian amount of flush valve toilets where you have to increase the size?
  2. Sluggo

Sluggo New Member

What is the situation? A residence? A dormitory? A prison? I don't know about Canadian requirements, but since a modern toilet will only use about 6 liters, and the tanks refill quickly, and the likelihood of a lot of people flushing a lot of toilets all at the same time is low, I would find it hard to believe that this would be a practical or code issue. Just my 2 cents...
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Quote; Is there a code for a certian amount of flush valve toilets where you have to increase the size?

Assuming that by "flush valves" you mean "flushometers", then of course there is, and even if there were not you would have to do it to maintain volume when they were operated in unison.
  4. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

FLush Valves

There may be a possibility of 8, first one requires 1". If i recall you had to up size to at least 2 1/2 to had worst case scenerio.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The actual pipe sizes, depend on the locations of the valves relative to each other and the length of the supply piping. Normally, you could feed 8 of them with a 1 1/2" line, but job conditions could alter that.