water pipe size for washer

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mr Russ, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Mr Russ

Mr Russ New Member

I was thinking of running hot water to my washer and ive got a 20 gallon water heater that serves only my dishwasher. The washer is about 35 ft away from the water heater. If I 'T' off near the water heater with 1/2'' cpvc, would that supply enough hot water to the washer?

Just wondering if this is a good idea or not. I can run it off my main water heater but i really didnt want to. thanks
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

1/2" cpvc is smallish for almost anything in a house but one sink ( remember that it equates nearer to 3/8" copper). In the case of a washing machine, if fills by level so it will work, just slow. SInce you can only get about 10 to 15 gallons of hot water from that tank, that would preclude doing "all hot" loads, but does anyone wash in hot anymore?????
  3. Mr Russ

Mr Russ New Member

Ive lived in the house since '97 and all its had is cold water. I am in an extensive remodel so i thought i might as well bring it some warm water. Its a front loader so it might not use as much water, from what ive read anyway.

I didnt want to run 3/4'' cause i feel i will be 'wasting' all the 'extra' hot water in the line. not sure tho.

thanks