water pipe repair with sch 40 conduit

Users who are viewing this thread

tkeoki

Reaction score
I had to do a semi-emergency repair of a broken sch40 pvc water line. The only thing I had available was some of the grey sch 40 electrical conduit; so I used it.

It's about a 6 foot section of 1 1/4"; I assume I now need to get the proper pvc pipe and reinstall it. But would like to know the reason. What exactly is the difference between the two?

Thanks

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It's the same pipe. Just gray instead of white. It should be OK as long as it's SCH 40.

John

D'Brie

Apprentice Plumber
Reaction score
Sched 40

I asked a manufacturers rep the same question a while ago, his explanation is (paraphrase here). electrical conduit is made to not let water in and plumbing pipe is made to not let water out. It's the coatings on the PVC (outside or inside) that make the difference.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

That is like saying you need different doors to keep dogs in and cats out. The "Coating" on the pipe is from the pipe itself during the extrusion process.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks