water pipe repair with sch 40 conduit

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by tkeoki, Oct 16, 2009.

1. tkeoki

tkeoki New Member

I had to do a semi-emergency repair of a broken sch40 pvc water line. The only thing I had available was some of the grey sch 40 electrical conduit; so I used it.

It's about a 6 foot section of 1 1/4"; I assume I now need to get the proper pvc pipe and reinstall it. But would like to know the reason. What exactly is the difference between the two?

Thanks
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

It's the same pipe. Just gray instead of white. It should be OK as long as it's SCH 40.

John
  3. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

I don't think electrical conduit is rated for potable water.
  4. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Electrical conduit won't have any pressure ratings on it what-so-ever. I would replace it with proper PVC so that you don't have a little emergency in the future.
  5. D'Brie

D'Brie Apprentice Plumber

Sched 40

I asked a manufacturers rep the same question a while ago, his explanation is (paraphrase here). electrical conduit is made to not let water in and plumbing pipe is made to not let water out. It's the coatings on the PVC (outside or inside) that make the difference.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

That is like saying you need different doors to keep dogs in and cats out. The "Coating" on the pipe is from the pipe itself during the extrusion process.