Water Pipe Insulation

Users who are viewing this thread

jdf405

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on insulation for my hot water pipes. They reside in a crawl space of my Los Angeles area house. No need for freeze protection, I just want to keep the hot water that gets left in the pipes warm as long as possible.

The stuff that is sold at Home Bleephole and Blowes is of poor quality from my previous experience. Anything better out there for residential installation?

Thanks
Jonathan

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Your local plumbing suppliers may have fiberglass insulation for tubing with a white wrap around it. It may come from 1/2" thick insulation to 1 1/4" thick insulation. For any specific diameter piping.

I'm almost sure they must sell it in warm climates as well :confused:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
C&P

Below is a description and pic of what it looks like
FIBERGLASS PIPE INSULATION
Fiberglass pipe insulation offers the widest range of uses the most cost effective choice of insulating mechanical systems.

Fiberglass pipe insulation is jacketed with self sealing all service (ASJ) vapor retarder jacket.

Moisture resistance assures stable high R-value of 4.35 per inch

Fiberglass pipe insulations are molded of heavy density resin bonded inorganic glass fibers

Insulation for hot, cold, concealed and exposed piping operating at temperatures from 0° F (-18° C to 850° F 454° C) in commercial buildings, industrial facilities and process or power plants

SSL II Positive Closure System

Jacket and lap shipped adhered

Fiberglass pipe insulation has excellent thermal performance

Meets Model Code fire ratings

Attachments

• fiberglasspipeinsul.jpg
    fiberglasspipeinsul.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 480

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
insulation

Even newspaper is an effective insulation. The foam insulation will give you the results you want, because you are looking for "short term" effects while the water is flowing through the pipes, (NOTHING will keep the water hot once you shut the faucet off), not a "long term" one to prevent freezing. Get the split insulation with the contact cement seam. You snap it on, pull the plastic off the cement, and press the two side together.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Check with an hvac supplier for some "closed cell rubber insulation". They do make it pre-split with self adhesive ready to go. You can use a miter box to cut you angles for the fittings and use contact cement to seal the joints on the angles you cut. The objectiv is to make the insulation air tight. Foam open cell insulation is not air tight,however it will work. Anythings better than nothing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks