Water only getting warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

48fordf-1

Reaction score
We have finaly got the water back to the trailer after winterizing it last fall. Now we are only getting warm water from the water heater,it worked fine when we shut it down for the winter. The tank was drained when we winterized and it has been sitting for about 8 months.I dont know a lot about electric water heaters. If some one could advise me where to start I would appreciate it. I know they have heating elements & a thermostat but do not know where to start looking for the problem. I searched the forum but did not find any thing to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

48fordf-1

Reaction score
I went over to the trailer and took off the 2 covers on the side and I found a red reset button on both of units. I was able to reset the top one but the bottom one will not reset.
I also checked the power to the elements with a multi meter and I have 120 volts going to each element. I will go over and check to see if the water is heating up in a couple of hours.

Will update the post later.

PS If it makes any difference it is a Kenmore water heater.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the lower element is out, you will only have a partial tank heated.
The top element works first, and then the second lower element.
If you pull the wires off, you can check the element for continuity. It should have resistance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the power was applied before the tank was full (and because of trapped air, you probably would need to run a hot faucet for a bit), the element(s) not covered with water will burn out almost immediately. If you filled the tank first, hopefully after the reset, all will be well.

48fordf-1

Reaction score
I checked both elements and I have resistance on both elements. What I did find is the lower reset button has poped off and will not reset.
Also on the bottom element I am only getting power to one side of the element. (120 volts) The other wire for this comes from the top thermostat and is showing 0 volts there. Would this be a thermostat problem top or bottom, or maybe a shorted lower element? Don't know what to do next.

Higgledy

Reaction score
I checked both elements and I have resistance on both elements. What I did find is the lower reset button has poped off and will not reset.
Also on the bottom element I am only getting power to one side of the element. (120 volts) The other wire for this comes from the top thermostat and is showing 0 volts there. Would this be a thermostat problem top or bottom, or maybe a shorted lower element? Don't know what to do next.

This is similar to my problem except I get pwr to both sides of the lower element and the reset button looks the same as the top. I don't think it is popped. Anyway, what was your solution? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks