Water noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Shopco

Reaction score
We recently re-plumbed our 1,000sf. house with 1†copper and are experiencing a lot of water noise. The noise is not from hammer but is the sound of rushing water when it is flowing. The worst offender is the front hose bib (ball valve) when it is partially turned on. The noise goes away when the valve is fully opened. The next worst offender is the toilet filling, which can be quieted by substantially closing the 1/4 turn angle stop.

Our pressure is 80 psi as supplied from the City. For various reasons I do not want to reduce the pressure at this time.

My idea is to acoustically insulate the pipes but I am having trouble finding a contractor experienced with this. I would do it myself if I knew what to do. Acoustical contractors seem to be concerned with walls and ceilings only, and plumbers have so far been only familiar with thermal insulation.

The one bathroom house is on a raised foundation and the main supply runs right underneath the living room.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have no idea why you feel the need to have 80 psi, that's well above what is needed. If you whole house is plumbed with 1" copper, that is way more than normal. I'd suggest you rethink the PRV, and install a thermal expansion tank when you do. Toilet supply valves should always be fully on. I think the reason you can't find anyone familiar with sound proofing water pipes is that this is not a normal thing to do. I would suggest a PRV that would reduce the pressure to 50-60 psi would probably fix your problem, and even if it didn't 80 psi is hard on washing machines, dishwashers, and toilets.

Shopco

Reaction score
If you read my post carefully you will see that I did not say I needed 80psi; I said I did not want to reduce it at this time. In order install the PRV now, it will have to be placed in an underground vault and the city will have to be called out to shut off my water at the main, and then re-called to turn it back on. Aside from the bother and expense, I do not particularly want a vault cover in the middle of my lawn.

On the other hand, if I can delay the PRV until I am ready for the next phase of my plumbing I can install it in a much less problematic location. That location will not affect the front hose bib however, hence the exploration of acoustic insulation as a possible solution.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
80 PSI IS TO UPC CODE !
but be aware that at night when nobody else on your street is using water that it could go much higher

Shopco

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses.. We have lived in this house for nearly 40 years and it has never had a PRV; no ill effects. I am upgrading the plumbing and planning to install a PRV in the near future. What I am after are comments about acoustically insulating the pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks