Water needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Kev24

Reaction score
Ok we lost water to our house and we share a shallow well which is 500 feet from our house. We have replaced the pump in house, the foot valve, the check valve and the pressure tank also put a longer pipe on going into the well. We get water and it kicks out but as soon as we flush it drops really quickly below 20 psi and pump seems to lose its pressure and prime. We have been fighting this problem for about a month. We can't afford a plumber I'm a maintenance millwright so know what I'm doing just can't figure out what's causing this. We've lived here for 26 years and have never had this much issue. Could there be ice in the lines the temperature has beeen -10 to -20 Celsius

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a check valve other than the foot valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes both check valve and foot valve were replaced
Glad to hear you say that. It points to a fairly easy likely fix. I suggest that you remove the above-ground check valve, or gut its innards.

Also, set your air precharge to 4 PSI less than the cut-on pressure. That is to account for the slower response time of a jet pump vs a submersible pump.

I am not a pro.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A "longer pipe down the wel"l will have absolutely no effect on the operation if the water level is dropping more than 26' below the pump's location. Running out of water in the well WOULD cause your symptoms with a shallow well pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
A longer pipe prevents sucking air through the foot valve and losing prime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks