Water main leaking in front yard

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I find it had to believe that a hose clamp meets Code. Where is this, Mexico?

Most water services and wells are installed with poly pipe, insert fittings and hose clamps. All of these are code approved legal in the United States under all of the codes.

Other options are PEX, PVC, Copper

Pipe information

Last edited:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Most water services and wells are installed with poly pipe, insert fittings and hose clamps. All of these are code approved legal in the United States under all of the codes.
So the professional plumber who said that "the repair could last a week or forever". Was trying to hood wink titan77 into buying a more costly and intrusive repair. Right?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So the professional plumber who said that "the repair could last a week or forever". Was trying to hood wink titan77 into buying a more costly and intrusive repair. Right?

No, he was just being honest.
You can repair a poly line, and the part that is new should be good for years.
The pipe he can not guarantee, is the old stuff that was not replaced.

Are you sure you have any experience in the construction field?
These things you come up with don't make any sense.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
The pipe he can not guarantee, is the old stuff that was not replaced.
I didn't say that the plumber should warranty the old pipe, but if the repair was made on poly pipe that was to code 30 years ago, I would expect the pipe to last as long as the manufacturer thinks that it would:
With the unique combination of flexibility and corrosion resistance, even conservative research shows that the life of a hdpe piping system is at least several hundred years when the pipe is properly selected and installed.
http://www.uspolycompany.com/index.php?ID=57

The professional should have stated such to the owner rather than try to hood wink him into a more costly repair.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I commonly find cracked poly pipe on water services.
I replaced my entire poly line two years ago,
The neighbor two doors down did hers last month.

If you are lucky, you can dig right down to the cracked pipe and replace it.
There is no rhyme or reason to it.
I'm not an engineer, I'm just someone that works with it every day.
Been there done that, have you?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I commonly find installation mistakes as well.

And plumbers find pipes that have cracked for no reason at all buried in sand with no rocks nearby.

Sometimes you will find roots that have grown near the pipes.
Now the root wasn't there when the ditch was dug, but after 10-30 years, the roots show up.

Sometimes I think the pipes can have bad spots in them.
We don't send them out for testing, we just cut out the bad section, and hope that the rest of the pipe is not like this.

Now there are miles and miles of pipe in the ground that is still working, but there will always be some that need replacement.

In a perfect world, you would never need a service plumber.
If you consider perfection materials that never break down over time and with usage.
There is a certain logic to decomposition, you see it in trees and leaves that turn into top soil.

I'm an avid skier, one Spring, both of my boots snapped in half, the ski store told me that after a number of years, the plastic boots would do that.
The material was only good for so many years. So in the trash they went, and I had to buy a new pair.

By the way, I notice that the Champion toilet uses plastic to divert water around the bowl, I wonder how long before that thin plastic starts to go bad and start cracking.

Last edited:

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Sometimes I think the pipes can have bad spots in them.
We don't send them out for testing, we just cut out the bad section, and hope that the rest of the pipe is not like this. ....

I'm an avid skier, one Spring, both of my boots snapped in half, the ski store told me that after a number of years, the plastic boots would do that.
The material was only good for so many years. So in the trash they went, and I had to buy a new pair.

Holidays are common in plastic materials that are otherwise consistent along large lengths. You are therefore correct to assume that an isolated repair would not affect the remainder of the system.

Three years ago my fiend Butch (please, no Bubba jokes) were skiing Whoopdedoo on Sugar Mountain near here. It is the only double black in the South. One of his boots failed and he was lucky to get to the bottom unhurt. The dummy stored his boots in his attic! I had a much older pair of Raichle boots from the 1970's that I had stored properly and were still structurally sound. In any event, we both bought new boots that weekend and have since learned the new skiing methods developed along with the shaped skis. In fact I've brought my NASTAR handicap down to 16 and have joined a second race league this year.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You are therefore correct to assume that an isolated repair would not affect the remainder of the system.

I don't assume that the rest of the pipe is good.
I don't assume that the repair changes the rest of the system, but it certainly does not give me fuzzy warm feelings about it either.
That is also why the repair plumber at the top of the thread would not guarantee the old pipe.

Most plumbers suggest complete pipe replacement unless you can quickly find the problem.

I used to do the double blacks with my brothers at Whistler when we were kids. My parents had a condo there.

Wraujr

Reaction score
Pulling Copper Thru Blue-Poly

In our neighborhood they used the Blue Poly for about half the neighborhood and then switched back to copper tubing. There have been a few leaks in the 13 years since homes built and have usually occurred to homes where the pipe is surrounded by concrete. I.E. they poured floor slab right around pipe. The other case is pipe goes thru wall and is mortared in place. Both cases there is no give and pipe shears below floor or out side wall as ground shifts.

Local plumber offers service where blue poly is cut at both ends (trench at street connection) and then 1" copper tube is pulled thru blue poly. A cone shaped device precedes the copper to "spread open" the blue poly.

Going cost is 2000 (group buy) to 2500 depending on whether PRV is replaced. Both plumbers put in new "ball" shut-off valves.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Local plumber offers service where blue poly is cut at both ends (trench at street connection) and then 1" copper tube is pulled thru blue poly. A cone shaped device precedes the copper to "spread open" the blue poly.

That sounds like a great way to do it.
No diggin up the entire yard, I love it.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
No sane person would warranty materials that he didn't install himself. Along with a smack upside the head their insurer would drop them. But I'd discuss the pros and cons with an owner before I suggested replacing the entire line.

I've only skied Western snow one week in my life and I've been skiing since I was 13. I did Keystone, A-Basin, and Breck. Each is only about 16 times larger than my home field. I must admit that I found skiing above tree line very intimidating due to the lack of perspective.

Last edited:

Titan7

Reaction score
I did not mean to cause any issues about the job. I was just wondering what the cost to do this repair/replacement would be. Heck now I am wondering if I just should have had the service replaced?

Since the leak was found right under the front of the house right behind the hose clamp connection I figured, hell it's been there 30 years and it once that's fixed I hope that will be it. Seemed like the smart way to go instead of dropping another $2200 on top of the $800 repair to replace it. Oh well, it's water under the bridge.

Would you pros suggest I just leave things alone or replace it the service now?? I guess I should have done more research on this.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
The life of the pipe is well beyond 30 years. It probably failed prematurely at the connection because of something at that particular point. This should have no bearing on the remainder of the system.

In other words, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks