water lines through attic?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johngaul, Nov 16, 2007.

1. johngaul

johngaul New Member

Is it acceptable to run water lines for my shower remodel through the attic? The feed lines are coming up through the floor of my 2 story house, yet I do not want to rip up the subfloor. Can I run these lines up through the ceiling/attic and bring them down through another wall? I live in southern Virginia and temps are not that cold.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you don't have to cross multiple joist bays, and if you can keep it down close to the ceiling, it's not too bad. The insulation above the pipes and the close proximity to the ceiling should keep them somewhat temperate. Being virginia, it can get quite hot in the summer which means that your cold water could be quite warm. Keeping it below the insulation near the ceiling should keep it from freezing, too. This will make adjusting and keeping the shower temperature a really tough, frequent endeavor until you've moved all of the water warmed by the attic out, then your shower will get colder. Suggest you consider a temperature controlled valve...it will be better at keeping the shower temp fairly consistent.
  3. johngaul

johngaul New Member

Thanks, the distance in the attic will only be 2'.