water lines through attic?

Users who are viewing this thread

johngaul

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to run water lines for my shower remodel through the attic? The feed lines are coming up through the floor of my 2 story house, yet I do not want to rip up the subfloor. Can I run these lines up through the ceiling/attic and bring them down through another wall? I live in southern Virginia and temps are not that cold.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you don't have to cross multiple joist bays, and if you can keep it down close to the ceiling, it's not too bad. The insulation above the pipes and the close proximity to the ceiling should keep them somewhat temperate. Being virginia, it can get quite hot in the summer which means that your cold water could be quite warm. Keeping it below the insulation near the ceiling should keep it from freezing, too. This will make adjusting and keeping the shower temperature a really tough, frequent endeavor until you've moved all of the water warmed by the attic out, then your shower will get colder. Suggest you consider a temperature controlled valve...it will be better at keeping the shower temp fairly consistent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks